Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sweet German Coleslaw

Ever since my family and me went to Chicken Annie's in Pittsburg, Kansas I have had a taste for German Coleslaw. My thirst for German food may have something to do with the fact that my Mom is full-blooded German, or it may just be that German food just tastes so dang good. I love it! While surfing the net I came across this unique family recipe from Joyce Brown and decided to give it a try. It's sweet, crunchy, tart, and oh so good! Her recipe is for 14 people, so I scaled it down to 6, gave it a more simple touch, and am now blogging it to you. I've added the link to her recipe as well, just in case you want to try making the original recipe.

Ingredients:
1 bag of Tri-color or Angel Hair coleslaw
1-1/4 green onions, sliced or diced
1/4 cup of sugar (if you don't like things real sweet-try reducing the amount of sugar by a teaspoon)
1/4 cup of vinegar (if you love a vinegar taste-add a tablespoon more of vinegar)
3/4 teaspoon of celery seed
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of vegetable oil

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine cabbage and onions. In a saucepan, mix sugar, vinegar, celery seed, and salt. Bring to a boil. Add the vegetable oil, then return to a boil. Cook until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage mixture, toss gently. Place in the fridge or eat while it's warm. Either way it's good!

Tip:

If you love the flavor of other spices such as: garlic, pepper, cayenne, lemon, etc. Simply add it to the vinegar mix the same time you're adding the salt and celery seed. I usually add garlic and pepper. It gives the flavor an extra kick and that adds to my love of German coleslaw. Mmmmm, I can taste it already. Enjoy. I know I will.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that German food IS good :) Bring on the coleslaw! Thanks for sharing, April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have been to Chicken Annies you know that the real receipe is lpaded with garlic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete